20 Success Principles We Can Learn From Hiphop
You may see the caption of this post and be thinking, “Hiphop?” I do know that many of us don’t listen to hiphop because of its “dirty” lyrics and the lifestyle of some of the artistes. Well it may be true that there are a lot of dirty words in the songs, but I do believe that if we listen to the songs without judgement, we may find some vital lessons for our lives and businesses, as some of these artistes are true cases of “grass to grace” or “Self made” people. And deep inside those lines, they embed their life stories, and success principles.
Here are 20 success principles offered by 2 Chains, Wiz khalifa, Eminem, and Kanye West:
2 Chainz & Wiz Khalifa – we own it (fast & furious)
1. What’s your motivation: is it money? Family? Love?
2. Do what you love: “it’s whatever we had to do, it’s just who I am”…“it’s the life I chose.”
3. Live in the moment: life is too short to postpone living, till a future date. The only time you have is now. Don’t waste your moments; “…This moment we own it.”
4. Be willing to take risk: nothing good comes easy. “I never feared death or dying, I only fear never trying.” “…One shot, everything rides tonight.”
5. Be willing to step on toes: in going for your goals, you may encounter obstacles. There may be people who will want to stand in your way, who may not want you to get to that point; the naysayers, the doubters. In their words; “Jumping out on anyone who try to say some one thing about it…”
6. Boost your confidence with positive self talk: it’s always good to say positive things about yourself and your mission. Even the scripture says that life and death is in the power of the tongue. So every day always speak powerful words into your life. In their words; “I am whatever I am”, “Got the spirit, I am feeling like a killer inside” “it’s the day in the life and I am ready to ride”
7. Have clear goals: a lot has been said about getting goals; goals are so vital, as they guide you to where you want to go. But remember they work if you follow them. In their words; “Ridding with the plug, so I am close to the outlet” “stuck to the plan,…never ran” “Follow the same code”
8. Keep your perspective: too many times people get distracted when they start making progress in life. They allow the new life to influence them. One way to keep your perspective, is to remember your past. Or as they put it; “we the fam and loyalty never change up” “Been down since day one, look at where we came from”
Eminem (Loose Yourself)
9. Always be decisive: know what you want and go for it now. Be prepared for any opportunity that may present itself to you. In his words; “Look if you had one shot, or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted. One moment, would you capture it or let it slip?
10. Spend time to prepare yourself: so many of us have lofty goals, but how prepared are we to achieve the things we desire. When the opportunity that you have been waiting for presents itself, will you be ready for it? Think about it. Spend time now to develop yourself, don’t be caught off guard by life. Or has Eminem puts it;…”He’s nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready to drop bombs, but he keeps forgetting what he wrote down…he opens his mouth, but words won’t come out..the whole crowd goes loud…the clock runs out, time’s up, over, bloah!
11. Be driven by something: it’s easy to give up when you lack the drive. Many people have achieved success because they were running from something; maybe poverty, homelessness, family troubles, challenges, wars, etc. Eminem; “…but he won’t give up that easy, no He won’t have it, he knows his whole back’s to these ropes, It don’t matter, he’s dope He knows that but he’s broke He’s so stagnant, he knows When he goes back to his mobile home, that’s when it’s
Back to the lab again, yo This whole rhapsody He better go capture this moment and hope it don’t pass him”
12. Don’t seek a normal life: it’s easy for us to just conform with the world. We keep our dreams small, and do what everyone else is doing. Small thinking cannot make you successful. God didn’t put you here to be normal like everyone else. Dream big. Think big. Reach big. Or in the words of Eminem; “Make me king, as…
A normal life is boring, but superstardom’s close to post mortem” “This world is mine for the taking”
13. Have a strategy: nobody wins without a strategy. If you know what you want in life, then next thing is to determine the steps you need to take to get there. So before you embark on any venture, always sit down to think through all the moves you have to make to get there. Eminem says; “I’ve got to formulate a plot or I end up in jail or shot”
14. Learn to say No: how many of us have remained where we are because we couldn’t reject the good opinions of others in the name of love or respect? Remember if you don’t learn to say NO to some people, no matter how close they are to you, you end up sacrificing your growth. Sometimes in life you have to do whatever it takes, even if that means leaving some people behind, or turning down some offers. Or as Eminem tells us; “Success is my only motherfucking option, failure’s not. Mom, I love you, but this trailer’s got to go I cannot grow old in Salem’s lot So here I go it’s my shot.”
15. “You can do anything you set your mind to do”
Kanye West (Can’t Tell Me Nothing)
16. Be disciplined: disciple is a habit we all have to cultivate if we ever want to get anywhere in life. It takes disciple to to stay true to your calling. Discipline is what will keep you going when everyone around you is falling behind. Discipline is what will help you overcome the temptations of life. Kanye says; “Man it’s so hard not to act reckless…to whom much is given much is tested…and what I do? Act more stupidly?” NO.
17. Be prudent: it amazes me how people desire wealth, yet, they blow away any money that comes to them. Spend your money wisely and judiciously. Learn to save the pennies so you can have the pounds. Kanye says; “I had a dream I can buy my way to heaven, when I awoke, I spent that on a necklace….bought more jewelry, more Louis V….the drama, people suing me.” You can’t get anywhere until you get your money habits rights folks.
18. Learn to speak up: speak to yourself, say it out. learn to communicate effectively. If you want to be successful you need the right people, but you can only attract the right company when you are able to communicate well to them. Hear Kanye; “They say I talk with so much emphasis, Oh, they’re so sensitive. Don’t ever fix your lips like collagen. Say something were you gone end up apologising.” “Let me know if it’s a problem man,…Alright man, holla then.”
19. Have self-control over yourself and your passions: this is where a lot of us struggle. How do you behave when you see lots of cash? Does the money drive you crazy and control you? How do you react when you are around the opposite sex? Can you still keep your cool and focus? To be successful you need to tame your passions, flesh and greed. Listen to Kanye; “If he can move through the rumors, he can drive off the fumes cause How he move in a room full of no’s?”
“How he stay faithful in a room full of h**s?…Must be the pharaohs, he in tune with his soul, So when he buried in a tomb full of gold.” “Treasure. What’s you pleasure?”
20. Don’t be desperate: kanye says; do things “with less effort ’cause when you try hard, That’s when you die hard.”